Monday, November 29, 2010

Nov. 29, 2010

Rule#25 in Michael Pollan's Food Rules is Eat Your Colors.

I'm afraid the Thanksgiving meal falls very short of this rule unless Michael is big into the neutral palette.

Mashed potatoes, turkey, stuffing, gravy: off white, linen, ecru and beige.
Even the celery in the stuffing had lost it's green color due to cooking.
I tried a small spoonful of my sister's sweet potatoes and they were delicious, and they were orange.

Besides failing Michael Pollan, I failed home ec.
Yes, I learned this rule in 8th grade. Thank you very much....

But for me the Thanksgiving meal is about tradition and our tradition is to eat all foods that are white...ish....

It's only once a year. The rest of the year I can work on eating the rainbow.

Yesterday I made a lovely, colorful bean salad. It had red peppers and yellow peppers, green onions and red tomatoes, black olives and little tan chick peas.

A tasty, colorful salad.

Michael would be very proud.
I even used organic beans.

woo.