Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Day 2

I have given up Diet Dr. Pepper a few times before in my life. Every time I am shocked and saddened by how my body reacts to the missing caffeine.

I am so sleepy.

It’s just after lunch and I want to take a nap. I hate to nap. I never nap.

With caffeine (four cans of Diet Dr. Pepper a day) I can go all day.
Sleep for six hours at night and not feel tired or cranky.

Without it, I am super tired. I want to nap in the afternoon and I go to bed at 9:00 at night.

So does healthy mean sleepy for me. I don’t like it.

I think I will go and ride my bike around the block. Perhaps the exercise will perk me up.

I’m back. That got the blood flowing. It was just a fifteen minute ride around our neighborhood, but it was a start and I think it will be a good plan to ride or walk (ugh) in the afternoons. It’s very quiet out there. I didn’t pass one person on my ride. No one saw my big butt from behind and no one saw my knees bumping into my large belly. But I felt it. Bump. Bump. Bump went my knees into my belly.

It has got to go.

Part of living healthfully is not only being very picky about what I am eating, it’s watching portion sizes. So far, I don’t have anything in the house that is both healthy and enticing enough to pig out on. But if I had some nice nuts in the house,
I bet I could over eat those if given the chance. And cheese, a good wholesome delicious cheese; I could over eat there too. Marion Nestle says to be careful of those tasty cheeses (saturated fat you know). She doesn’t know that I live in America’s Dairy land. I wonder if she has tasted a cheese curd. I wonder how many are a sensible portion, probably one ounce.

Must stop thinking about cheese curds.

I will instead tell you quickly that I weighed myself this morning. I am not comfortable yet telling you how much I weigh. It’s about the most I have ever weighed. But if it were me reading this diary, I would really want to know. So I will place the before/after chart at the end of the book and I’ll wait while you go look.

What I can say is that I would not be out of place on The Biggest Loser.
I could never be on The Biggest Loser because I could never leave my family for that long of a time and I could never ever in a million years wear a sports bra on National Television. And that Jillian is mean. She is way mean.

But weight-wise I need an intervention. And so I invite Michael and Marion into my life for a year. It’s a long commitment, but I like them, they won’t yell at me, they are sensible and funny and they will never require that I wear a sports bra in public.

It’s like the Bradley method of getting healthy; relaxed, natural, focused, supported. Exactly like the Bradley method just missing the naked birthing and the baby in the end.