Sunday, September 26, 2010

Day 20

I sit here with a growling stomach.
This is a new feeling for me. My stomach is rarely empty enough to make any noise.

The first food choice of the day is here.

Because I am prepared I have good choices on hand; good eggs and whole wheat bagels.

And because I am prepared it makes life so easy.

The problem is when I don't have something quick and easy to prepare or an idea or a recipe ready to go. It does take more effort to eat this way.
Sometimes I don't want to cook! I'm tired of cooking and thinking and planning.
I want a chef.

I could live like that.

But it looks like I am the chef.

(Patrick and I watched Julie and Julia again Friday night. This movie inspires me to cook and find the joy in it. I may be watching it over and over this year!)

Last night I made Betty Crocker's Mandarin Orange Salad. This is one of the few homemade salads I love. (Emma and I agree that making your own salad is just not the same. That reminds me...I want the chopped salad from Wildfire in Chicago...right now.)

I completely enjoyed my dinner last night and it was because I made this fantastic salad.

I made a few changes to cut down on the sugar. Instead of browning the almonds in sugar. I just didn't do it. Renegade. I know!

The rest I left the same. Yes, there is some sugar in the dressing. But that's okay.

I think like this. Mandarine Salad vs. Chicken Pot Pie.

Salad wins. By a long shot!

I am not going drastic here.
I'm in it for the long run.


Mandarin Salad by Miz Crocker

1/4 C sliced almonds
1T + 1 tsp sugar
1/4 head lettuce
1/4 bunch romaine
1 C celery chopped
2 green onions thinly sliced
11 oz can mandarin oranges, packed in juice

Sweet and Sour dressing;

1/2 C oil
4 T sugar
4 T vinegar
2 T snipped parsley
1 tsp salt
Dash pepper


skip this.
Cook almonds and sugar over low heat, stir until sugar is melted. Careful not to burn. Cool and break the almonds apart. Set aside.


start here.

Place lettuce/romaine celery and onions in a plastic bag. Pour in dressing and orange segments and shake, shake, shake,....shake, shake, shake,...shake your salad,
shake your salad, yeah.
Add almonds. Serve.



I have a lot left over for today. It gets pretty wilty...but hey! I just thought of something, I can add more lettuce to it. Yum! Can't wait till lunch!