Thursday, September 30, 2010

Day 24

For years I had two pieces of eating wisdom on my refrigerator.

One said, "Never eat more than you can lift." the the other said, "Eat less food."

One was a quote from Miss Piggy. I'll bet you can guess!

The other, "Eat less food" was something a girlfriend told me about five years ago. My friend, Camy has seven children.
She eats extremely well and lifts weights. She is disciplined and looks amazing. One afternoon I gave her a call.

"Camy, I need to do something about my weight. What is the best method? Low fat, no carbs, blood type diet, G.I. diet?
And to this she said, "Eat less food." And I smiled and knew she was right. Not what I thought she would say, but so Camy.
(I think she also told me to lift weights. But I have conveniently forgotten that part of the conversation.)

So when I saw Michael Pollan's instructions to "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." I had a little deja vu.
Yup. Camy would approve.

Can I tell you something? I don't feel like I eat a lot.

I do however know two people who eat a half a sandwich for lunch. I know this because it seems so odd to me.
A half a sandwich! I suppose I should try it.

And when we go out for steak, you are not going to believe this, but sometimes my husband gets the petite fillet and I get the regular fillet.

A petite fillet. humph. Why bother?

Well. That's what I use to think.

One time we went out to eat for my birthday and I got an appetizer and a salad and a entree.
The service was very slow and I think it was an hour before we got our entrees.
My husband, the light eater, sat and watched me eat for that whole hour and he did not eat a thing.

Is it any wonder he stays the same weight year after year and I go up and down like a trampolinist?

I'm happy to say, those days are gone.

Smaller portions, here I come. I shall savor each bite. I shall change my thinking.

I shall. I will.